Located in the suburbs of Corfu Town, 3kms from the centre and 5kms from the sea, this lovely Venetian style villa is close to all amenities yet enjoys a considerable amount privacy, peace and quiet. Set within a plot of 2,300 sqm the outside space has a wonderful mix of areas to relax in - there is a superb central manicured garden area (The grass of which was brought over from Onassis' Island Skorpios by his gardener who was a friend of the family), 5 beautiful verandas, 3 of which have original Byzantine style handmade tiling, paved pathways and a spectacular variety of wonderful mature trees, shrubs and plants. There is also an arched covered terrace area which is a private bar / covered dining area and given the size of the plot, there is ample space for anyone wishing to add a pool or even tennis courts should that be desired.
The villa, with its vast 580 sqm of living space is currently divided into 3 separate accommodations, however there is a wide variety of options available for the way the villa could be used - It could be retained as a spacious family home or be used as an investment opportunity to utilise the 3 accommodations for rental or even as a small business such as a boutique hotel. At the present time the villa is separated into a ground floor house of 220 sqm with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, a second ground floor house of 160 sqm with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a first floor apartment of 200 sqm with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Altogether there are 10 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 3 kitchens and 4 living rooms. Other property features include a large space for parking 8 to 10 cars, a wonderful rooftop terrace of 80sqm with views of the old fortress and central heating throughout.
Since its construction in 1880, the villa has always been owned by the same family and over time, extensions to the original building have been made, all in keeping with the original Corfiot Venetian architecture. Over the years, the villa has been used for purposes other than residential. In 1912, due to a shortage of larger buildings on the island, the family rented it to the Government of the time and it was converted for use as a school for local children. In 1930, the land which included 50,000 sqm at the time, was cultivated to produce food for the surrounding villages. This included cultivation as well as keeping farm animals and 100 local people were employed to help with the venture. During World War II, the Germans occupied the villa and it was used as their headquarters on the island. The wrought iron front entrance gate that still stands today has bullet holes from the gun fights that took place around the property.
The villa has also played host to a number of prominent citizens – Prince Emir Azimi of Persia was a regular visitor, Constandinos Karamalis, the ex-Prime minster of Greece and the owner of the famous Metaxa Greek brandy have been wined and dined at the villa on a number of occasions whilst enjoying the music of a full orchestra that was set up in the garden area.